Wednesday, January 20, 2016

THE SIMS 4 MOVIE HANGOUT STUFF REVIEW




The Sims 4 Movie Hangout Stuff is the fifth stuff pack for The Sims 4 and It was released on January 12th, 2016. As always, this stuff pack is focused on a particular theme and filled with variety of patterns to enrich the look of the game. Let's take a wider look at this SP.




I'm dividing this review into a few sections to make it easier to read:
  • Introduction and thoughts
  • New Game play - Popcorn and the Big Screens
  • Buy and Build Mode
  • CAS
  • Overall Thoughts
INTRODUCTION AND THOUGHTS

So, what are the new things we got with this pack? Your Sims can watch movies at the comfort at their own home. Grab the popcorn, invite your Sims' friends over and get the movie watching session started! Apart from movies and popcorn, the entire theme is BoHo-Chic or bohemian. For me, I think this pack has the Mexican touch in it. It's nice to see something very different from the other packs we've got. To say the truth, I'm getting quite tired with the modern themed objects and was looking for something new in my game. Movie Hangout Stuff brings vibrant, attractive, mixture of Mexican and Moroccan theme into the game. Although there aren't many CAS items compared to the other Stuff Packs, the comprehensive detailing and patterns of the objects just makes me forget about the flaws. We all know about the lack of CASt (Create-A-Style) in The Sims 4 but If we think about a minute, the variety of these patterns remind me of CASt a little. Yes, I know TS3 CASt has tons of patterns but In my opinion, Movie Hangout Stuff shows that The Sims 4 can look better without CASt. I hope they continue adding such variety of patterns in the game. If this happens, It would bring the CASt vibe to the game again. This is just a summary of how the objects look and I also shared some of the positive aspects.

What is the first thing that comes up in your mind when your friend invite you at their place and watch movie with them? Does the theme bohemian come in your mind? Obviously not. I'm quite confused about the theme. Yes, I do like the objects but theme is really different. I think this pack doesn't refer to a movie theatre because the word "Hangout" is in there. Sims just want to invite their friends over and watch movies. The theme of the pack should've been something sleepover related. There's a lack of sleepwear in the game and this could've gone well with the pack. They could add a Social Event where everyone dress up in their sleepwear and arrive at the party (just like they did with Spooky Stuff)

Something like this:


Source: http://forum.thesims3.com/jforum/posts/list/550325.page
Let's not forget about the lack of beds in the game. We could've got bunk beds If they added movie and sleepover them together. This was just my thoughts how the theme could've been. I hope I didn't spill out too many negative thoughts!

NEW GAME PLAY - POPCORN AND BIG SCREEN

POPCORN



The popcorn machine is one of the new game play objects for this pack. There are three flavours your Sims can try but in order to try the other two flavours, Sims require a higher cooking skill. This is very similar to the ice cream machine from Cool Kitchen. Something that is weird about this is the size of the popcorn which made me giggle a bit. I've never seen a popcorn so huge!




Apart from that weirdness, I love that they throw the popcorn all over them while watching a scary movie. Also, I really like the popcorn making animations and the popping sounds. Really a decent addition to the game.

BIG SCREEN



There are two huge TVs with this pack. The TV above is one of them. What I like about the movies are that you don't need the huge TV to watch it and can use a regular one instead. There are about 10 types of movies your Sims can watch and all of them have a unique story. As my Sims enjoyed watching the movies, I did too! Some of them are creepy but also quite fun to watch such as Simder and Moonlight Massacre II. I also liked Lost Dog's Journey Home, It reminded me of all the beautiful worlds in The Sims 3 such as Bridgeport! The funniest thing I've encountered is this scene in Simder





Poor Sim! She didn't know that, did she? Honestly, I think Movie Hangout Stuff is an entertainment for both the player and their Sims! Also, I love it when Sims react to the movies. Emotions and their expressions are a key part in the game and It's so nice they're wonderfully implemented. They can express sadness, shock or be scared by watching a horror movie!




Last but not the least, If you fast forward the time the TV screen will look pretty much like It's going ahead with time too! It may seem strange to some players but I really like the idea. This makes the game quite realistic. Also, It may stop me from fast forwarding the time and watch the movie with my Sims!



BUY MODE AND BUILD MODE




There are a total of 36 items, both Buy/Build mode combined. The buy mode, in short, is completely filled with intricate designs and patterns. The objects look as If they had been handcrafted and were put directly in the game. If you're not into all that "bright and funky" theme, have no fear! When viewing the objects for the first time, they seem to bright and If you take a look at the recolours, the brightness has been decreased a bit. Say, for example the chair on the left is less vibrant than the other two but the creator successfully managed to keep the BoHo theme in this one too. 



We also got some new lighting with this pack. Compared to the other packs, this pack has the best lighting so far. Ranging from a new tree with hanging lanterns to new, colourful and vibrant candles, the possibilities are endless. I really hoped we could put the hanging lanterns on other trees but unfortunately they are attached with one specific tree. That tree, on the other hand is available in a lot of colours including blue, pink, purple, green etc so I think that get rids of my disappointment. 



The Build Mode includes quite a few doors which I think I won't be using in my game so much but they may prove useful for creative builders. If you take a close look at every items, the BoHo theme is perfectly implemented in all of them. From my point of view, the items are quite nice If you want to build a quaint and comfy cottage in game. This could also go well with the objects from Get Together!



There's a new coffee table with pristine relflection! I wonder why the reflection was added only in this coffee table but not to the tables created in other packs? This was, as well a pretty nice idea!



Want to know my favourite object from this pack? It has to be the new candles! I like the candles that came with Spa Day but this one has to be my favourite so far! There are TONS of recolour options, making it fit for every theme. The colours are perfectly selected and go well with one another. Also, the wall paintings on the right is a toned down recoloured version. I see myself using this wall painting more in the future! I like that all the colours fit there nicely



CAS

CAS, like Buy/Build mode objects have the same bohemian look too but there are too few items in this pack. Starting with the female items first, there are only 2 tops and 4 outfits for them. I'm not trying to be conservative but most of the female items show too much skin, especially the dresses. Leaving that, I expected the CAS stuff to be tacky but It really isn't! They're elegant, beautiful and perfect for all occasions. The black dress seems quite plain to me though. They could've spiced it up by adding more designs. The entire making of the dress doesn't appeal to me



Instead of this dress, this one from The Sims 3 Mother Russia set could've been added. If you look at this dress from TS3, It seems quite simple but the design is really nice and It doesn't show too much skin either. 

Now, let's move on to the new hairstyles. Remember the BoHo hairstyles with The Sims 3 Store which we rarely used? The hairstyles in this pack are pretty nice and also suitable for every occasions. First starting with this hair, It's available in a LOT of colours and I had gone blind for a second. Thankfully, there's a normal version of this hair too without the extremely bright highlights! That being said, It's also one of the coolest hairstyles in the game after the one Candy Behr had in Get Together! This is the hair with the highlights



Here's the normal version of it


Another thing I want to say is the hairstyles are nice but what about some BoHo themed, flowery hats? Sadly, there's only one simple hat which I won't use that much in the game. A combination of normal hairstyles and Bohemian themed hats would've been nice to see. I've been wanting to see some hair decorated with flowers or flower crown instead of a simple hat


This could've been change to THIS! With the recolouring options, the flowers would look really nice too so I hope we get more hair like the one on the right.



Now, with the male stuff! Most of the time, the CAS assets for male doesn't appeal to me but this time, they nailed it! There's also a hairstyle which I seemed to like the most. It's not too messy or just too normal. I guess It's a Harry Styles inspired hair? Looks like there's a One Direction fan out there! I'm hoping to see more hair of this style in future packs! I think I'm happy with the hairstyles for male. What could we possibly want more from them? Obviously the flower crown won't be suitable idea!


There are quite a few tops for male, each with a variety of patterns and colours. I like that they're not too tacky. I'm really not a fan of the hippy look but I would love my Sims to dress as one! 


What I'm mostly disappointed is that children are left out every time. I expected Movie Hangout Stuff would contain some cute outfits for the children but alas, they're just a copy paste of base game CAS assets. Don't want to sounds rude or anything but I think the time has arrived to focus more on family content side by side with other themes. There are just two tops for children and out of two, one of them was......well, a bit awkward

The first picture is from the SP and the second one is from the base game. It seems like the design was quickly made and plopped directly into the base game shirt.

The time has come to consider about the children too. I love playing with my adult/elder Sims but why are they always left out? 


OVERALL THOUGHTS

It's quite difficult to sum up my whole thoughts but I'm still addressing all my positive and negative views. First and foremost,each and every item have a unique colour and pattern to it. If you're not a fan all the colourful craze, there are toned down versions of them. Moreover, the objects have such a quality that they can be used everywhere, not just for creating a wacky and colourful house. I have no complaints about Buy/Build mode. I'm glad It didn't turn out like Cool Kitchen with objects looking almost the same. CAS items for both adult female and male Sims were a nice addition but I expected to see more hats and flowery themed hairstyles for female. As mentioned earlier, I have nothing more to say of the children items, I'm just hoping we get equal amount of items for both adult and children. The only thing I'm confused about is the theme. A sleepover themed Stuff Pack along with movies would've gone perfectly, just like salt mixes with water! But still, on the other hand, the items were a decent addition to the game. The variety of patterns made some portion of CASt possible in the game. Instead of modern themed packs, I'm keeping my fingers crossed for more cultural themed packs like this.

I hope my review helped you to make decision to buy it or not. If you enjoyed it, you can drop off a comment, recommend it or say hello to me on Twitter! That's all! Have a great day all.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Links

Email: tazreen_tasnim@yahoo.com
Twitter: https://twitter.com/tazreentasnim

Instagram: https://instagram.com/tazreeentasnim



No comments:

Post a Comment